SS. John & Bernard Parish
To grow as a Catholic community, united by the Holy Spirit, living our faith in Jesus Christ and sharing God's truth and love with all people
For Catholics, the Sacrament of Marriage, or Holy Matrimony, is a public sign that one gives oneself totally to this other person. It is also a public statement about God: the loving union of husband and wife speaks of family values and also God's values. That Christian marriage is really a sacrament of the New Law in the strict sense of the word is for all Catholics an indubitable truth.
Couples who are planning to get married at St. John's or St. Bernard's should contact the rectory at least six months prior to the requested date. Please Click Here for the answers to some frequently asked questions about having your wedding at SS. John & Bernard Parish.
All couples are required to complete the following:
- A Pre-Nuptial Session with the Pastor to complete registration forms and secure the wedding date.
- A “Marriage Discovery Weekend” (Friday evening/all day Saturday/ Sunday morning)with the
- A Natural Family Planning componentwith the Diocese.
- Take the FOCUS Survey and meet with a married couple to discuss results.
- Meet with the Pastor 2-3 weeks before the wedding day to finalize all preparations and plans.
- Inter-Faith Marriages (i.e. one Catholic/one non-Catholic) are permissible - same preparation
- Couples from outside the Parish may be married at SS. John & Bernard's Parish with the
permission of their home Parishes after receiving approval from SS. John & Bernard Parish.
- Couples may also be prepared at their home Parishes with the understanding that all
preparation must be first approved by their Diocese and second, by the Diocese of Kalamazoo.